- Posted by M Edwards
- On July 20, 2018
Carole has been practicing as a psychologist for over 12 years. During this time, she has developed a passion for working with couples and families as she believes these relationships can be central to the well being and health of individuals.
- What has made you interested in helping couples with their relationships?
I believe that there is not enough emphasis in society on learning how to effectively interact with others in any form of relationship – intimately, friendships, workplace etc – that any help that I can give people to deal with their relationships can have be an invaluable and lifelong benefit to them.
- What are the most common relationships problems that you see in couples coming to you?
Conflict, difficulties communicating, affairs, introducing and adjusting to having children and parenting.
- What are the most common problems for women in relationships?
Feeling like they aren’t being heard and validated and having difficulties communicating their needs.
- What are the most common problems for men in relationships?
Feeling like they are juggling competing demands and unable to express their feelings and vulnerabilities.
- What would you like clients to know about the couple counselling process before they come in?
That there is no judgement and they will really enjoy the process and learnings, and that what we discuss will be relevant to many areas of their lives.
- If you had one word of advice for couples with children, what would it be?
- What advice would you give to couples trying to rebuild their relationship after an affair?
Every hurdle you address now, will have value for you later. And – From the most difficult times can come the most valuable lessons.
- What, for you, are the most important things that couples need to remember if they want their relationship to thrive, instead of just survive?
To communicate, regularly and honestly.
- List 3 qualities that your friends and family would describe you as having.
Kind, caring, supportive.
- List 3 strengths that you have as a Psychologist.
Compassionate, friendly, helpful.
- How many years’ experience do you have practicing/helping clients?
Over 12 years.
- What do you find is the most satisfying and fulfilling part of this work that you do?
When couples have enough tools that they no longer need help (even though they often like to keep coming) and can happily enjoy their lives.
If you would like to make a booking with Carole or any other of our psychologists, you are welcome to fill out an enquiry form here, or call our friendly receptionists on 1300 830 552.